The project is also implemented in partnership with Living Earth Foundation UK and funded by Comic Relief. Itis focused specifically on developing eco-enterprises in rural communities that neighbor national parks, wildlife and forest reserves in Hoima, Buliisa and Masindi Districts in Western Uganda.
- To support the expansion of existing biodiversityentrepreneuriallines(bird- guiding;eco-tourism)
- To develop new enterprises responding to local needs and experience from the sub-region (butterfly farming, silkworm production,more productive use of degraded land)
- To mobilize private sector support for green business development, particularly based around community-based monitoring of oil and gas impacts.
- Micro and small enterprises from poor urban communities have strengthened capacity to provide products and services within the emerging economy
- Poor rural people generate income through ecosystem, services, linked to biodiversity and focus on mitigation of environmental risks by the oil sector
- Improved access to employment through strengthened links between schools, BTVET institutions and the private sector through work experience programme
- Increased commitment to equitable social and enterprise principles by oil industry and local government through a structured advocacy programme
The target location contains a number of protected areas, ranging from forest reserves, community wildlife reserves,and wildlife reserves to fully-protected national parks,likely to be impacted by the arrival and operations of the oil industry.
These include Murchison Falls National Park, Bugungu Wildlife Reserve and Kabwoya WR which among others are wholly inside the oil blocks and so will have or have already had direct impacts from the oil exploration.
- Awareness raising on Revenue Sharing Agreement (RSA) funds
- Training on accessing Revenue Sharing Agreement (RSA) funds and developing project proposals
- Trainings for social venture enterprises, leadership of community based groups, women and youth groups in areas neighboring national parks and reserves in various areas including:
- Functional skills hands on training in identified skill areas
- Delivering training for social venture/enterprise development:
- Life skills – Entrepreneurship Spirit uptake
- Raising Enterprise start-up Capital- Village Savings and Loans Association (VSLA)
- Marketing and Customer care
- Delivering leadership training in:
- Lobbying & negotiation
- Community representation
- Finalised feasibility study and scoping exercise for rural enterprises
- Finalised training needs analysis (TNA) for rural enterprise development
- Have advertised for calls for proposal for consultancy services to deliver training activities for rural enterprise development